Netflix is a leading tech company with, according to Statista, over 223 million paying subscribers. As it is such a large company, Netflix posts new job openings daily in a wide array of departments. If you are wondering how to get a job at Netflix, you have come to the right place.
In this article, we will go over the Netflix hiring process, including common interview questions and resume and cover letter tips to impress the hiring manager. We also cover popular job openings and provide Netflix salary statistics.
Netflix: Company Background
Netflix was founded by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph in 1997. In 1999, Netflix began to offer an online DVD subscription service in which subscribers would choose movies on the website and would be sent their selected entertainment.
In 2006, the company created an algorithm that recommended DVDs to users based on the movies or TV shows they had previously rented, and by 2007, subscribers could stream movies online. Netflix quickly grew to be the primary streaming platform with its original titles, and made almost 30 billion in revenue in 2021, according to Statista.
Applying for a Job at Netflix
If you want your Netflix job application to be successful, you will need to put in the work and make sure you are at the top of your game. The company’s culture of self-motivation is the foundation of its rapid growth. Netflix’s recruitment process is very rigorous, so you must be very skilled to secure a job there.
Netflix currently has more than 200 jobs listed on its website. The incentives attached to these jobs mean that each job will attract thousands of applicants from all over the world. Before you apply, carefully read the job description and make sure you are a good fit.
Netflix Application and Interview Process: A Breakdown
The Netflix hiring process looks different depending on the team you are applying for and your level of experience. The steps below are a general guide to help tech professionals build their Netflix application and land their dream job.
- Research the company culture. Netflix’s propensity for hiring disciplined, proactive, and driven workers is well-known. If you are serious about joining the team, you should be aware of the company’s values.
- Review available jobs. Visit the Netflix job website and identify an opening that would be a good fit for your background, interests, and skillset.
- Prepare your application. The first step of your Netflix application is to provide your basic details and upload a copy of your resume. The website will allow you to upload five additional documents, such as a cover letter or portfolio.
- Pre Screening interview. If the company is impressed with your documentation, they will contact you to schedule a short phone interview. They might ask questions about your resume and past work experience, as well as a few behavioral questions to see how you would fit in the company culture.
- Technical phone interview. Your second Netflix interview will last longer than the pre-screening interview and will have a more technical focus. The exact questions you are asked will depend on the team you are applying for.
- Onsite interviews. The next part of the Netflix hiring process takes the form of one or more onsite interviews, where you will answer behavioral questions, prove your abilities, and explain your thought processes through whiteboard questions.
Common Netflix Interview Questions
Netflix interview questions cover a wide range of technical skills and behavioral strengths. The company will want to ensure that you are hardworking, and dedicated, and will fit into the company culture. Here are a few common Netflix interview questions:
- Which of our cultural values do you disagree with?
- Tell us about a time you disagreed with your manager or boss. How did you deal with it?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- Why do you want to work for Netflix?
- How do you deal with ambiguity in the workplace?
Resume and Cover Letter Tips for a Netflix Job
Building the perfect Netflix resume is difficult for many applicants, especially considering how competitive the application process can be for such a large company. Below are a few tips to help you impress the hiring committee and progress to the interview stage.
- Use the job description as a guide. Use the same vocabulary you see in the job description on your resume so that it is easy for the hiring manager to confirm you have the skills they are looking for.
- Use concrete data to back up your accomplishments. Numerical evidence makes your abilities easier to quantify and understand, especially if the hiring manager only has a few seconds to scan each resume.
- Reach out to your contacts for tips. Review your professional network or reach out to employees of Netflix on social media to ask for tips or advice. This can help give you an idea of what the company is looking for.
- Only include relevant experience. The hiring manager doesn’t have time to read through your entire job history. Keep your resume to one page, if possible, and only include information that is directly relevant to the role.
- Don’t use a generic resume or cover letter. The hiring manager will be able to tell if you send in a cover letter that you have used before. You want your application paperwork to be as specific to Netflix and your chosen role as possible.
How Hard Is It to Land a Job at Netflix?
It can be very hard to land a job at Netflix. To get the job, you need to demonstrate that you are a good fit for the company’s culture. Recruiters will test whether your personality reflects company values such as courage, curiosity, and good judgment.
The recruitment team is focused on employing applicants who are at the top of their respective fields. Although the team rarely hires fresh graduates, these new professionals can still be considered for internship programs.
You will stand a better chance of getting the job if you are business savvy and show that you’re dedicated. Demonstrating that you can inspire others with your enthusiasm will also improve your chances. Netflix values collaboration, inclusion, respect, excellence, and integrity. The hiring team will ask questions to establish whether you reflect these values.
How Much Are Netflix Employees Paid?
The average Netflix salary ranges greatly depending on your position and level of experience. According to Indeed, full stack developers at Netflix make an average of $155,259, while data engineers can make over $275,000.
In general, tech roles at Netflix come with a very strong salary. The average salary at Netflix for a data analyst is $84,629, and the average salary for a business analyst is $130,243. Some roles that come with a less impressive wage include IT analyst, customer service technical, and administrative assistant.
What Are the Benefits of Working at Netflix?
Popular Netflix employee benefits include comprehensive health insurance, retirement benefits, the stock option program, and unlimited time off. Many past and current Netflix employees have praised the work environment at Netflix. The positive company culture also makes working at Netflix very rewarding.
Performance-Based Work Assessment
Working at any leading company will require you to exert a huge amount of effort. However, Netflix does not micromanage its employees, but rather evaluates them based on their performance.
Freedom of Creativity
Netflix does not operate with a top-down management system. You will be responsible for completing your own tasks and generating results. The main goal is to execute the company’s vision and retain viewers.
Modern Hiring Practices
Netflix has a very modern approach to hiring. Its managers focus on whether an application can solve problems instead of evaluating applicants based on their education. This means people from diverse backgrounds have the opportunity to show what they are capable of. Many employees thrice when working on a diverse team.
Interesting and Engaging Work
An entertainment company can provide an enjoyable workplace dynamic. At Netflix, you will enjoy working in a fast-paced, diverse environment, where you will stay up-to-date on the latest films and movies. This is one of the most notable Netflix employment benefits for lovers of media and pop culture.
Netflix Career Opportunities at a Glance
|Senior Data Scientist||$203,000 to $345,000||8 to 10 years experience|
|Senior Software Engineer||$166,000 to 234,000||5 to 7 years experience|
|Project Manager||$112,000 to $196,000||3 to 5 years experience|
|Senior Financial Analyst||$139,000 to $210,000||5 to 7 years experience|
|Machine Learning Engineer||$157,000 to $270,000||3 to 7 years experience|
Netflix Career Opportunities: Job Titles and Descriptions
The vast number of Netflix job openings means that you have a good chance of finding one that fits your skillset and interests. Below, we discuss some of the most common Netflix careers and what job responsibilities you might encounter in each role.
Senior Data Scientist
Senior data scientist is one of the most lucrative Netflix careers. These professionals can work on a range of teams, but in general, they work to identify ways to drive growth and membership on the Netflix platform. They use data to evaluate performance and optimize personalized algorithms.
Senior Software Engineer
A senior software engineer is in charge of driving innovation and leading engineering teams. They will be responsible for integrating, testing, and monitoring the Netflix app. Someone in this role must be an impressive communicator, strategic thinker, and problem solver. You must also be comfortable working with the ambiguity that comes with innovation.
Project managers at Netflix work to ensure that projects are completed on time, within budget, and within scope. You will need impressive soft skills for this Netflix job, including communication skills and the ability to produce the same quality work independently and with a team. There are regular job openings at Netflix for project managers because they can work on various teams throughout the company.
Senior Financial Analyst
As a senior financial analyst, you will be responsible for interpreting and analyzing legal and financial jargon. You must ensure compliance in accordance with production service agreements, unions, and guilds.
Machine Learning Engineer
A machine learning engineer at Netflix will be charged with identifying ways to use data and AI technology to help Netflix grow. You might help optimize the platform’s portfolio, help retain the user base, and find ways to engage new subscribers. You will likely be in communication with other professionals, such as analytics engineers and software engineers.
Remote Netflix Job Opportunities
Netflix offers work-from-home jobs on a range of teams. The best way to find them is by visiting the company website and filtering for remote opportunities. Below are some of the most common remote jobs at Netflix.
- Netflix tagger jobs. Netflix tagger jobs involve watching Netflix content and helping the company improve its metadata. Generally, you need a few years of industry experience to land a Netflix viewer job. You may need to speak at least two languages as well.
- Netflix animation jobs. Netflix occasionally hires remote animation artists, such as VFX artists, to work on its original content. The more years of experience you have, the greater chance you have of being able to work remotely.
- Netflix customer service jobs. Certain customer service jobs at Netflix can be performed from home. You will need strong communication skills and, depending on your role, you will likely need enough technical knowledge to help troubleshoot for subscribers.
- Netflix translator jobs. Translator is a popular work-from-home Netflix job. You will need to pass an exam that proves you are highly fluent in more than one language. The ability to spot linguistic errors is essential as well.
- Netflix software engineer jobs. Software engineers at Netflix often have the option of working from home or at least using a hybrid format. Keep in mind that you may still need to be available virtually during normal work hours for meetings.
Where Can You Find Netflix Job Opportunities?
You can find Netflix job opportunities on the company’s official site, or using popular online job boards like Indeed, Linkedin, and Glassdoor. It is a good idea to check the Netflix website regularly for the most up-to-date information about what Netflix job opportunities are available.
What Does It Take to Get a Job at Netflix?
It takes a lot of hard work and determination to get a job at Netflix, as it is a popular company that gets a high volume of applicants daily. Netflix is a leading entertainment provider, with more than 223 million customers around the globe today. Their employees must reflect the company’s focus on creativity, diverse backgrounds, and passion.
If you are wondering how to get a job at Netflix, a good place to start is getting a degree in a relevant field or attending a top coding bootcamp. To secure any of the positions above, you must exhibit an extreme passion for your career and Netflix. Then, you must display your skills and talent in entertainment or technology to the company’s recruiters.
How to Get a Job at Netflix FAQ
Yes, you should apply to more than one job at Netflix, but it isn’t generally a good idea to apply to more than two or three. It is a better use of your time to craft strong applications for roles you are qualified for than to apply to as many roles as possible.
Are Netflix employees happy?
Yes, in general, Netflix employees are happy. According to Glassdoor, Netflix employees rank the company 4.3 stars out of 5. Additionally, 86 percent of employees say they would recommend working at Netflix to a friend.
How do you negotiate to get the salary you want at Netflix?
You can negotiate to get the salary you want at Netflix during the later stages of the application process. The important thing to keep in mind during salary negotiation with Netflix is that you have a say in how much you earn as a base salary versus how much you receive in Netflix stock through the Stock Option Plan.
What should I do If Netflix doesn’t hire me?
If Netflix doesn’t hire you, remember that the company is very competitive and you should not take it personally. You can always try again the next time a position in your field opens up. There are also many other top tech companies that you can turn your attention to.
The post How to Get a Job at Netflix: Ace the Netflix Hiring Process appeared first on Career Karma.