The US is home to a lot of public and private universities, some of which offer degree programs both online and in person. Western Governors University, also known as WGU, is one of these institutions. WGU is a good school that provides college education to over 100,000 students and assists them in pursuing their academic and professional goals.
This article will provide comprehensive information on WGU rankings, WGU reviews, and what Western Governors University is known for. We will also give you insight into WGU’s academic programs and admission requirements to help you decide if this institution is suitable for you.
- Campus Location: Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Clayton, Las Vegas, Durham, Columbus, Franklin, Kent
- Accreditation: Distance Education Accrediting Commission, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Acceptance Rate: 100%
- Graduation Rate: 64%
- Annual Undergraduate Tuition: $7,452
- Annual Graduate Tuition: $7,500
Western Governors University, established in 1997, is a reputable nonprofit university that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificates. With a student-to-faculty ratio of 42-to-one, WGU ensures that students earn a college degree and succeed in their future career options.
The school has a general acceptance rate of 100 percent. The figures, which include tuition, acceptance, and graduation rates are according to National Center for Education Statistics reports.
Where Is WGU?
Western Governors University’s main campus is located in Salt Lake City, Utah. WGU has other locations spread across eight US states, including Indiana, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington.
What Is WGU Known For?
Western Governors University is known for being formed by the governors of 19 US states. WGU is also known for distance learning, offering over 50 online programs. This private university uses a competency-based curriculum, which is ideal for working professionals.
Is WGU Ivy League?
No, Western Governors University is not an Ivy League school. Universities in the Ivy League are prestigious and selective universities with a reputation for top-notch education. These institutions have strict admission requirements as well as strong academic standards. A degree from an Ivy League school guarantees opportunities in the job market.
How Big Is WGU?
Western Governors University is big in terms of population, with around 150,000 students. Out of this number, about 105,000 of the student body are undergraduates studying various courses. The student-to-faculty ratio at WGU is 42-to-one.
Is a Degree From WGU Good?
Yes, a degree from Western Governors University is good because WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. Regional accreditation means WGU has met the required academic standards. Like most regionally accredited institutions, WGU is proven to provide quality education and degrees to students.
How Much Does WGU Cost?
Western Governors University costs $7,452 per year for undergraduates and $7,500 annually for graduate students. These tuition costs apply to students resident in and out of the state. The total cost of attendance may vary depending on other school fees, accommodation, and travel expenses.
WGU Financial Aid
The US Department of Education has permitted Western Governors University to provide students with financial aid in all degree programs. Financial aid makes it possible for students to afford tuition, technology, textbooks, and other educational expenses. Since WGU’s tuition is affordable, many students graduate without paying back large student loans.
- WGU 25th Anniversary Next Generation Scholarship. This scholarship amounts to $5,000. WGU has made 25 scholarships available to students, which will be renewable for up to two terms. The scholarship awardees will receive a rate of $2,500 per six-month term.
- Master Your Future Scholarship. You can afford to pursue your master’s degree with the Master Your Future scholarship worth up to $2,500. WGU offers this scholarship to students to help them afford their graduate degrees.
- Cleveland Clinic Caregiver Scholarship. WGU offers the Cleveland Clinic Caregiver Scholarship to healthcare professionals who have impacted the community. This scholarship is worth $4,000. Employees of Cleveland Clinic have the chance to further their career prospects by pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- WGU Cybersecurity Scholarship. The WGU Cybersecurity Scholarship can help students pursuing a Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Cybersecurity. An amount of $5,000 can be offset from WGU’s already affordable tuition. Renewable scholarships are offered to 20 students who will receive $1,250 every six months for up to four terms.
- WGU Loves Teachers Scholarship. This scholarship worth $4,000 is for prospective educators looking to advance their careers. It’s also available for future educators who wish to obtain their teacher certification.
School rankings are an important factor in determining whether a school meets certain academic standards. Western Governors University is a good school for distance education. However, WGU does not have any rankings under Times Higher Education ranking, US News & World Report ranking, Center for World University, or any other university rankings.
Top Programs at WGU
Western Governors University is known for offering career-based graduate and undergraduate degrees in business, technology, teaching, health, and nursing. Below are bachelor’s, master’s, and other distance education programs available at WGU.
Bachelor’s Degrees at WGU
Western Governors University offers bachelor’s degree programs in various fields. To apply for a bachelor’s degree at WGU, you should have a high school diploma or the equivalent. Some of these competency-based programs also have specific requirements. We provide an overview of the bachelor’s degree programs available at WGU in this section.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Management)
The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an Emphasis in Management gives you an insight into management and leadership courses. Its coursework includes project management and business ethics. You can learn and acquire various skills through WGU’s online business management degree program in 42 months.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
WGU strives to make its BS in Computer Science program one of the most useful computer degrees available by enhancing your skills in developing, designing, and optimizing systems. The curriculum provides education on fundamental IT skills as well as algorithms and data structures, robotics and artificial intelligence, and databases and information retrieval.
Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
If you love teaching and you enjoy working with children, this online program is for you. WGU’s bachelor of arts in elementary education offers students the theoretical and practical knowledge to connect with elementary school students. Educational foundations, children’s literature, natural science lab, and survey of world History are all part of the curriculum.
Master’s Degrees at WGU
Students who already have their bachelor’s degrees can proceed to enroll in a master’s degree program at Western Governors University. Online master’s degree programs are available in the business, teaching, and IT fields. The following are some of the master’s degree programs you will find at WGU.
Master of Science in Accounting
The Master of Science in Accounting program at WGU equips students with the skills to function in the global economy. The curriculum consists of four parts which include accounting, finance, strategy, and management. You can complete the program in 24 months. Additionally, the program prepares students for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam.
Master of Science in Educational Leadership
To successfully lead an educational institution, you need the skills, knowledge, and practical experience that the online Master of Science in Educational Leadership at WGU offers. This 21-month online educational license program will equip you to influence students, educators, communities, and the future of education.
Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics
WGU’s Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics helps you learn through theory and practice. You’ll learn about modern analytic tools, machine learning, and programming languages. The program of study provides you with skills in data science and analytics, data management, data mining, machine learning, and database applications.
Other Top Programs at WGU
Western Governors University also offers other top programs, including certificates. These programs help you decide on your future career options. Below are some of these top programs.
Post-Master’s Certificates in Nursing
WGU offers two Post-Master’s Certificates in Nursing, one in education and one in leadership and management. This certificate helps nursing professionals with master’s degrees to advance or shift their career paths. With this degree, you can boost your value in the medical field and improve patient care.
Master of Science in Health Leadership
The health leadership master’s degree at WGU is a flexible online degree program for healthcare leaders seeking a master’s degree to advance in significant leadership positions. Any student with this degree will acquire the knowledge and skills in 24 months to help them build a promising career in healthcare.
Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction
This 13-month online master’s degree at WGU gives you the fundamental skills and practical experience you need to develop a curriculum for elementary and secondary schools. It enables you to fulfill the needs of contemporary educational systems. It’s a good choice for those with teaching experience who wish to improve their skills in curriculum development to grow their careers.
How to Apply to WGU
- Apply for admissions. The first admission requirement for Western Governors University is to complete your application form online. You should go to the school’s official application website, input the necessary details, and submit to begin your application process.
- Submit your official transcripts. WGU requires you to submit official transcripts from your previous secondary or post-secondary institutions. Transcripts can be mailed or sent online straight to the university. You must submit your transcript by the first day of the month prior to the day you intend to start.
- Create your WGU student account. After submitting your application form and transcripts, the next step will be to create your student account with Western Governors University. This account gives you access to the WGU Student Portal, which you will use to complete the financial aid application process and pay tuition.
- Apply for financial aid. If you plan to apply for financial aid, you must start the process on time. To find out details about WGU’s financial aid process, visit the website to see a step-by-step guide.
- Interview with your Enrollment Counselor. Your enrollment counselor assists you with your application process by answering questions and guiding you, so you won’t miss deadlines. As part of the criteria for admission, you must successfully complete a 20 to 30-minute intake interview with a WGU Enrollment Counselor.
How Much Do WGU Graduates Earn?
Western Governors University graduates earn an average salary of $18,200 within two years of graduation and an average of $25,900 after four years, according to the school’s official website. Graduates from Western Governors University have strong salary outcomes as a result of their education.
Is WGU a Good College?
Yes, Western Governors University is a good college because it provides quality education and financial aid opportunities. At WGU, students are encouraged to learn independently and earn their degrees at an accelerated rate. Forbes also reports that WGU is known for its results, such as high employment rates, job opportunities, and affordable tuition.
Is WGU a Good School? FAQ
Yes, they do because degrees from schools with regional accreditation are respected, and Western Governors University is a regionally accredited university. This online school offers students quality and flexible education to help them succeed in their future career options. Students that earn a degree from WGU have an opportunity to find excellent employment.
You can earn an online degree from Western Governors University in an average of two and a half years, compared to the national average, which is about six years. Additionally, many WGU students complete their degrees much earlier.
Yes, credits from WGU are transferable. You can transfer credits from WGU because the online university is regionally accredited. As a result, other accredited colleges and universities will accept credits from Western Governors University as transfer credits.
The student experience at WGU can be challenging for those who cannot learn without thorough guidance from program mentors. This is because students mostly learn on their own through the materials the school provides and self-motivation.